Friday, September 15, 2017

Some Thoughts on Friday

On most Fridays, I send a message of cheer to my friends at Parallax, Inc. They make so many wonderful educational products for the study of robotics and micro-controllers. They are a friendly, and very dedicated group of people and share their knowledge with others as individuals and as a company! Many of the resources there are free to all and open source! 

Below is the message I sent this week. It says some things I deeply believe and that I thought were worth sharing here...

Friday Cheer – September 15, 2017

 Dear All,

A note about the importance of what you all are doing…

I believe that all education is about the pursuit of truth. There is no higher goal – in my opinion.

William Sparrow was an Episcopal Priest and taught church history, theology, and Christian evidences at Virginia Theological Seminary. He advised his students to "Seek the truth; come whence it may, cost what it will."

In the Carl Sagan book and movie Contact, when Palmer Joss (a deeply religious and spiritual person) is asked by reporters about scientist and skeptic Ellie Arroway’s report of time travel and encounter with alien life (of which there is no apparent proof) – Joss responds,

News Reporters: “Reverend Joss! Reverend Joss, what do you believe? What do you believe?”
Palmer Joss: “As a person of faith I'm bound by a different covenant than Doctor Arroway. But our goal is one and the same: the pursuit of Truth. I for one believe her.” (emphasis is mine)

As most of you know, I love robotics. Therefore, I hope (like armature astronomers are able) to contribute to the field in a meaningful way. I decided the best way to do so, might not be using my own limited knowledge, but by inspiring others to join the field and grow into future scientists, programmers, and engineers. They might be smart enough to do amazing things beyond my ability – I would contribute by fostering their contribution!

That is the importance of what each of you do every day! Thank you!

As a person of faith, and as a person of science, my goal is and always has been the pursuit of Truth. I seek Truth, come where it may, cost what it will. I also seek to help others do the same – whatever their vocation or avocation. For me, the covenant of faith and science are one in the same – the pursuit of Truth.

Thanks for all you do! Have a great weekend and rest – See you all next week!

Whit+

1 comment:

Whit+ said...

Jesus said, "and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.” - John 8:32

Post a Comment